Welcome to MobilETC. Enable. Train. Connect. Unlock opportunities for new business now!
ScanSource POS and Barcode is continuously thinking of ways to empower our reseller partners in this ever-changing landscape. We've always been on the cutting-edge of change, and mobility is no different. The fact is, mobility is nothing new to us. The difference today is the exponential growth opportunity created by Microsoft's end of support for several legacy operating systems (OS).
To help, we offer an all-star lineup of best-in-class manufacturers, with solutions to help transition your customers from old products to new. ScanSource can help you uncover opportunities to refresh what your customers have purchased in the past.
Our MobilETC program was designed to help you provide your customers with the very best mobility solutions to future proof their technology investment. We are dedicated to:
- Reseller Enablement with content that you can use to educate your customers
- Training on new products and resources to rewrite software
- And Connecting you with the right ISV's who have developed on new OS's
What's happening, and when?
The following Microsoft Operating Systems will be at end of life soon, so the time to act is NOW.
- Windows Embedded CE 6.0
- Extended Support End Date — April 10, 2018 (extended support means that security patches will be done ONLY if completely necessary)
- Windows Embedded Handheld 6.5
- Extended Support End Date — January 14, 2020
- Windows Embedded Compact 7
- Extended Support End Date — April 13, 2021
Here's a picture of the ongoing OS migration by the numbers, during the next few years:
- 15+ Million — The number of mobile computers sold and deployed since 2010
- 99% — The percentage of mobile computers that have an OS that's losing support by 2020
- $800+ — Worldwide ASP (average selling price) of a mobile computer in 2015
- $12+ Billion — The mobile computing Global refresh opportunity
- $4.5 Billion — The North American mobile computing refresh opportunity
By sharing your suggestions, and helping with the necessary software re-writes, you can simplify your customers' transition to a new operating system—which, in turn, makes it easier for them to migrate to new devices. That means you win during the transition, and gain market share. And that's a win-win for everyone.
What does an operating system's end of life really mean?
- Security implications: Since Windows is not updating the operating system on a regular basis, these OS's lend themselves to security breaches.
- Functionality and interoperability implications: Again, since Windows is not updating the operating system on a regular basis, you will not get the latest updates to increase/optimize device functionality.
- Form factor implications and expectations of a new generation of users: These are platforms that look, feel, and perform like they are generations old. But it's possible to understand a decision-maker's reluctance to change what has worked for 20 years. However, old devices just can't live up to new expectations. We no longer dictate to users what a mobile experience is like. They now bring that expectation with them from their personal mobile device usage.
What actions do you need to take, and how can we help?
- Upgrade your customers' mobile computers to a Windows 10 or Android Operating System device
- Whether you go with Windows 10 or Android, a software re-write will be required. We have the ISV partners and resources to help walk you through the transition.
- Email OSmigration@scansource.com for the path to a successful OS transition.
Datalogic Joya Touch
Datalogic Falcon X3+
Datalogic Skorpio X3
Datalogic Memor X3
Honeywell Dolphin 70e
Honeywell Dolphin 75e
...... Learn more »